How Is SmartLipo™ Different than Regular Liposuction?
As technology advances, so too have many of the procedures traditionally used for plastic surgery. While many treatments remain viable and effective in their conventional methods, newer techniques often allow for added benefits during and following surgery. One treatment that has seen a variety of technological innovation is liposuction. With the right technique and a skilled surgeon, liposuction is able to produce body contouring results that are truly stunning.
SmartLipo™ is a good example of how liposuction has been improved upon over the years. Although the core procedure remains the same, SmartLipo™ utilizes lasers in conjunction with traditional technology for greater overall results. See the below explanation for a more detailed understanding of the benefits provided by this liposuction procedure, as provided by our Little Rock practice.
What Is SmartLipo™?
SmartLipo™ is a liposuction technique that uses a laser along with a thin tube, called a cannula, for the removal of excess fat. Typically, the cannula alone is used to break fat apart and remove it from the body. This is performed by manually separating the fat by sweeping the cannula in a back-and-forth motion against the tissue. While effective, this method can cause additional discomfort and side effects after surgery.
With SmartLipo™, this process is divided into two parts: first, the fat is liquefied through the use of a laser, and then the fat is more easily removed with the cannula. The surgeon can therefore concentrate on creating accurate results, rather than on the physically tiresome task of fat separation. The goal of treatment is the same, but laser technology introduces additional benefits to patients.
Benefits of SmartLipo™ vs. Traditional Liposuction
Depending on a patient’s health, body type, and exact procedure, the advantages of SmartLipo™ may vary. However, most patients can expect to gain at least some of the following benefits:
- Milder side effects: Nearly all liposuction procedures will result in some post-operative bleeding, bruising, and swelling. However, SmartLipo™ reduces the damage to blood vessels during surgery, minimizing the prevalence of these side effects afterward.
- Better surgical control: Through the aid of lasers, the plastic surgeon can achieve greater accuracy in the contouring of fat tissue. As a result, a patient may experience smoother, more appealing curves.
- Quicker recovery: With less side effects and discomfort during recovery, patients usually feel better sooner and are able to get back on their feet within days.
- Smaller incisions: Because the cannula requires less movement, the surgical incisions can be made smaller. In fact, they may not even require stitches to be closed, and will leave far less noticeable scars than in other liposuction procedures.
- Better skin: As the laser is used, it also heats the tissues around the area, stimulating collagen growth and resulting in healthier skin afterward.
Candidates for SmartLipo™
Anyone who is a good candidate for regular liposuction is also a candidate for SmartLipo™. Specifically, patients should be looking to reduce excess fat from a specific area of the body to create more complementary contours. Popular areas include the upper arms, chest, stomach, hips, thighs, and buttocks. At the same time, patients should hold realistic expectations for surgery by understanding that liposuction is not a method of weight loss, nor can it necessarily achieve “perfect” curves.
Like any plastic surgery, candidates must be in good overall health. Any diseases or conditions that may jeopardize a person’s ability to recover from surgery should be discussed beforehand. This includes diseases such as heart disease and diabetes, as well as tobacco use and poor circulation. Speak with your doctor for a more detailed list of concerns.
Are You Considering Liposuction?
We want all of our patients to know what to expect from surgery, beginning with their own candidacy for treatment. If you are looking for a body contouring procedure, set up an appointment at our office to learn how each of our treatment options may benefit you. Together, we can help you make the right choice for your body.