Liposuction and the Risk of Skin Dimpling
By Dr. Suzanne Yee on March 16, 2015
Despite eating a healthy diet and regularly exercising, many of us have stubborn areas of fat that just won't go away. Liposuction can create a contoured, sculpted look in the fatty problem areas that even diet and exercise can't correct. Choosing an experienced plastic surgeon, like Little Rock surgeon Suzanne Yee, is key to ensuring the best liposuction results. However, it's important to be aware of the possibility of skin dimpling after liposuction. Read this overview to learn more about the risk of skin dimpling after liposuction.
The Causes of Skin Dimpling after Liposuction
Skin dimpling can result for a number of reasons following liposuction treatment. Some of the causes of skin dimpling after liposuction include:
- Uneven healing: Liposuction causes trauma to the tissues and in cases of uneven healing, dimpling may occur. Choosing an experienced surgeon, like Dr. Yee, can help reduce the risk of dimpling caused by uneven healing.
- Fluctuations in weight: Weight fluctuations after liposuction can cause dimpling to occur.
- Large quantity of fat removed: When too much fat is removed, it's not only unsafe for the patient, it can lead to uneven dimpling.
- Cellulite: Those who already have cellulite are more likely to experience dimpling after liposuction.
- Poor skin elasticity: Those with poor skin elasticity are also more likely to experience dimpling after liposuction.
How to Prevent Skin Dimpling after Liposuction
The likelihood of skin dimpling after liposuction can be reduced by following post-surgical instructions and these tips.
- Wear compression garments as directed: Compression garments help the tissues stay in place during the healing process, and also reduce swelling and maintain even pressure on the skin. Compression garments should be worn as directed after liposuction to encourage proper healing and reduce the risk of dimpling.
- Maintain a stable weight: Weight fluctuations can create dimpling after liposuction, so it's important to maintain a stable weight to keep your skin smooth after treatment.
- Follow all post-surgical instructions: All post-surgical instructions should be followed after liposuction treatment to ensure proper healing and reduced risk of dimpling and complications.
What to Do if Skin Dimpling Occurs
If skin dimpling does occur after liposuction, there are ways it can be treated. The following options can reduce the appearance of skin dimpling:
- Non-surgical skin tightening: Non-surgical skin tightening treatments use special lasers to correct uneven dimpling and tighten the skin.
- Massage: Massage can smooth out lumps. Some spas even specialize in this type of massage.
- Surgical skin tightening: In some cases, dimpling may not respond to non-invasive treatments. This is typically the case when dimpling is caused by loose skin. Surgical skin tightening can be used in such situations to tighten and smooth the skin's appearance.
Schedule a Consultation with Dr. Yee
Liposuction can help you achieve your desired look when diet and exercise no longer give you the results you want. To discuss your concerns or learn more about liposuction, we welcome you to schedule a consultation with Dr. Yee today.
Related to This
Love Dr. Yee! She is very caring and patient, and she answered any questions I had. She has a very knowledgeable and friendly staff as well. Highly recommend her. Best of the best!Andy A.