Treat Gynecomastia with Male Breast Reduction
Gynecomastia is a condition in which the breast tissue in men becomes overdeveloped, which can cause embarrassment and self-consciousness. Enlarged male breasts can be caused by hormonal imbalances, some medications, and certain health conditions. Fortunately, gynecomastia can be effectively treated with male breast reduction at our Little Rock, AR, cosmetic surgery practice. Dr. Suzanne Yee typically uses the tumescent liposuction technique to remove the excess breast tissue and help our patients achieve a more masculine physique. If there is glandular tissue present and Liposuction is not an option for removal, Dr. Yee will create a small incision around the areola for removal. Through this incision, Dr. Yee will excise or remove the glandular tissue. We offer CareCredit® financing to help you budget for the enhancements you want.
Understanding Male Breast Reduction
Exploring Candidacy for Male Breast Reduction
Men who are unable to eliminate excess breast tissue through diet and exercise may be eligible for male breast reduction. Patients seriously considering this treatment option should be in good overall health and should be able to safely undergo surgery. Additionally, candidates should be at a stable weight before undergoing surgery, as weight fluctuations can reverse the results. Patients considering a male breast reduction should understand that this procedure is not intended to give you the contoured pectoral muscles of bodybuilders. However, patients can anticipate a flatter, more masculine chest.
Male Breast Reduction Procedure
Male breast reduction can typically be completed in about one to two hours. Depending on your needs and goals, surgery can involve five basic steps:
- Anesthesia: Before beginning your procedure, anesthesia will be administered to keep you comfortable.
- Incisions: Once you are comfortable, Dr. Yee will create a series of small incisions on your chest. The location and size of the incisions will depend on your unique needs and aesthetic goals.
- Reduction: Dr. Yee will inject a large volume of lidocaine and epinephrine underneath the surface of the skin to minimize blood loss and other risks associated with liposuction. Next, she will insert a small cannula through the incisions and remove the excess fat. In some cases, excess skin may also be trimmed away.
- Nipple repositioning: Although not necessary in every case, the nipple can also be repositioned to achieve natural-looking results.
- Sutures: Once the procedure is complete, the incisions are closed with surgical sutures.
Results should be immediately apparent after your procedure and should continue to improve once the initial swelling subsides.
Recovery and Results
Following your procedure, you can expect slight discomfort, bruising, and swelling. These side effects can be mitigated with over-the-counter pain relievers. You may also be provided with prescription medications to ensure a comfortable recovery.
Results should be immediately apparent after your procedure and should continue to improve once the initial swelling subsides. In order to experience long-lasting results, it is important to maintain a healthy lifestyle once your recovery is complete.
Most men find they can comfortably return to work within a week of their surgery. However, if your job is physically demanding, you may require more downtime.
Learn More about Male Breast Reduction
Do you feel self-conscious about the contours of your chest? If so, male breast reduction can help you. To learn more about gynecomastia surgery, schedule a consultation with Dr. Yee. Call us at (501) 214-0661 or contact us online anytime.